Thursday, August 12, 2010

I Told You Octopi Are Awesome

So I've been painting a series of creation stories lately, and today I started the "Evolution" one. There is a giant octopus going across it. I love octopi and I was pretty proud of this one, so I thought I would show it to all of you.

["RAWR fear me!"]

The main reason I did the octopus first and made it so huge was because I think they rock. Painting animals that rock is really fun. However, I might tell people the octopus is so big to display the dominance of oceanic animals over the evolution time-line. (Since when is "timeline" not a word, Mozilla? Since when?)

So, if the way an octopus looks doesn't convince you, here is a smattering of other neat things about the species:
  • They have a beak. Sort of bizarre if you ask me.
  • "Probably the most intelligent of all invertebrates" according to Wikipedia. 
  • Most of them can change the color and texture of their skin for camouflage, therefore making them cooler than chameleons. 
  • "The Hawaiian creation myth relates that the present cosmos is only the last of a series, having arisen in stages from the wreck of the previous universe. In this account, the octopus is the lone survivor of the previous, alien universe." says Roland Burrage Dixon. (Yes, I know creation myths are intriguing, thanks for pointing that out.)
  • No bones!
  • Suction cups!
  • Creepy!
  • Octopi can usually escape from captivity because they are so damn smart. 
  • Apparently there is an octopus named Paul who chose the outcome of 8 world cup games and got all of them right. He would be given two jars of mussels with country flags on them and whichever he opened to eat first was the team he picked. 
p.s. If you haven't read the post before this, please do. It took way longer to make than this one. 


    5 comments:

    1. Maybe my favorite thing you've painted. It's wonderful!

      And Octopuses (yes, you can say that now) are awesome, albeit scary. But awesome.

      Noitulove. That's Evolution backwards. Aww, there's "love" in it!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Aww, the fancy word I had to type for that last post was "warmed," as in, "you warmed my heart with that last blog post.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Bear Grills just ate an octopus on Man Vs. Wild.

      It was gross.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I never knew much about the Octopus I guess!

      Cool painting!

      ReplyDelete