Friday, January 15, 2010

Hi Delhi, Nice to Meet You

written on January 12th, 2010
Getting Acquainted with Delhi

Today we did a bunch of stuff. Lucky for you there are a bunch of pictures to go with!
Basically, we toured some note-worthy areas of the city.
The first stop was the tomb of Humayun (and 99 others who were close to him). He was the second Mughal emperor, his great-grandson is Shah Jahan, who built the Taj Mahal. Tombs were rather extravagant when it came to Mughal emperors—or were they “sultans?”—so it made for some lovely photos.


[that "looking through the arch" photo that everyone takes when they are walking through an arch with something pretty on the other side]



[them windows was carved out of stone!]


[it was dark and quiet in the tombs. eerie.]


[say cheese Humanyun's tomb!]


[there were pretty birds just hangin' out too :D ]

Next we drove around, passing the India gate which is surrounded by a huge round-a-bout. We traveled to the largest mosque in India, the Jama Masjid mosque. There was a camera fee, but somehow I got volunteered to represent the group’s experience in photos so I only had to pay half of it. OOOHHH yeah!
It made me feel obligated to take one million photos, including my first panoramas of the trip! How I have neglected those!


[thar she be]



[me and andrew. mosque models.]


[pigeons, pigeons, everywhere]


[check the dopey covers we had to wear so we'd be modest enough. love.]


[birds only pose for true photographers]


[best of the panz]


[Kayla, Shannon, and Rachel run through the pigeons. be proud, they only had socks on and there was poop galore. only Kayla went all the way.]

After the Jama Masjid, we were inexplicitly led to a crowded bazaar/market place. There were fun creepy alleyways, people of every type, thousands of little stores, colors and noise, motorcyclists and bikers trying to pass you constantly, stray animals, fried foods, garbage and dirt, jewelry, and more. No one could ever describe that place fully because there is way too much going on. I only took a few pictures before my camera died. Sad, but it was the first time this whole trip that it’s needed charging, so I can’t complain.



[random alley]


[look at the electrical wires!]

Once the group found each other, we were ready to lunch it up! The place we went to was pretty good, and our guide was also an entrepreneur so the three business majors got to chat him up.

Our final activity was shopping. The guide brought us to some expensive tourist store, and then we went to a Western-style mall for the people who didn’t bring enough warm clothes. Wandered around, blah blah blah, went back to the hotel for dinner. It’s fun just hanging out in the hotel and getting to know people from the group, which is what I did before going to beddddd!

7 comments:

  1. Someone obviously has a great sense of humor there....or they really don't like Americans. The combination sahri/clown outfit is hilarious!

    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought your makeshift sahri's were funny and orange for you-Wow!

    Great pictures! I loved the paoramic one. Maybe you can print it and frame it at home somehow.

    All those wires in the market place look dangerous! and so ugly. What a country of contrasts.

    You are learning and experiencing so much Christie! We are so proud of you! Can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love the window and pigeon pictures and hey how come you only get mad at me when I tell you to wear sunscreen when others told you too? I am just commenting not criticizing....

    Can't wait to see more, I love checking it everyday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man i want to see all this with you! this must have been so fun!

    the sahri's remind me of when i forgot to bring my athletic shorts to gym class in middle school, and they made me wear disgusting baggy gray sweatpants that said H.M.S in stencils in front of the legs. i feel your embarrassment.

    but who gives a sh** because LOOK WHERE YOU WERE!! and your pictures are gorgeous. i love this post.

    can't wait for the next one.

    love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heheh glad you guys like the outfits. Technically, they might not be sarees, but they are something for sure.

    Mom: When do I get mad at you for telling me to wear sunscreen? I love sunscreen, I always wear it because I hate freckles and burns and cancer and trying to look like a magazine.
    I only forgot it the other day, it's not that I didn't WANT it!

    Brian: Love the comparison.
    And it was MUCH fun! I wish you were there too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you need to update your blog more fool!
    -Marina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also...
    here's what my new India calendar says about the Jama Masjid:

    "In Old Delhi domed roofs and minaret towers top the Jama Masjid Mosque, the largest in Asia. Commissioned by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan, builder of the Taj Mahal, Jama Masjid was completed in 1656 AD. The name is a reference to the Friday noon congregational prayers required of Muslims. The courtyard of the mosque can hold up to 25,000 worshippers. The mosque also houses sever relics, including a copy of the Quran, the central religious text of Islam, written on deer skin.

    ReplyDelete